Monday, June 28, 2010

When the truth hurts....

I suppose I stopped blogging for the last few weeks because it made it easier to forget about our world as it actually is. I guess if I ignore things I think they will go away. Well nothing has gone away, but they are certainly becoming easier to talk about.

A few weeks ago when Grace went in for surgery I mentioned some things that the doctor had shared with us as she was getting ready to enter the OR. I didn't have the courage to write them then. I haven't really shared them with too many people. They aren't things I necessarily want to talk about. It was awful timing, but when the surgeon came to talk with us before surgery he told us that Gracelyn would for sure need the next surgery. The Fontan. This is the surgery we were hoping to avoid. It basically re-routes her heart so that only half of it actually is working. After we handed her over I went to the car and cried for a while. It was harder to hear that news than it was to send her in for her surgery. I didn't know what to do or think. It was me that now had the broken heart. I really in my heart thought she was going to be okay after her Glenn surgery. I was convinced. I am coming to accept that she is a lot sicker that I ever thought she was. She really is like those OTHER babies. I have often thought and said she wasn't. Grace came out of surgery and all I could do was thank the Lord that she was okay. I would have been extremely ungrateful to feel otherwise, despite what her long term plan is. When we were ready to be discharged the surgeon came to speak with us. I questioned him then. I asked him to tell me that there was absolutely no way that her heart could grow. He told me it probably wouldn't, but anything could happen. It was the small piece of hope that I was going to survive on for the next few years. It was all I needed.

A week and a half later I was at a check up with our pediatrician. After he told me how great she looked he said, "So they have obligated her to the Fontan." I said, "No." He said, "Yes." Again I replied, "No." He pulled the report out and let me read it. He showed me where it read that they had over sewn her pulmonary artery, making it so that nothing was going to her right ventricle. If nothing is going there, there is nothing to help it increase in size. I was devastated. How did I not know? In my heart I knew it was right, but didn't want to get too upset until I heard it straight from the horses mouth. In the meantime I received the bill. I didn't know what one of the procedures listed was. I googled it. It told me what I didn't want to hear. Last Wednesday when we went down to Primary's for a check up we questioned them. It was the truth. Nothing short of a miracle will save my little lady's heart from becoming a single ventricle.

I have had some time now to deal with the news. Since them I have come across blogs where the parents were just praying that their baby would qualify for the Fontan. It would beat the alternative. We have a few years and I will pray until then, with everything I have, that there will be amazing advances in medicine. They are currently working on a tiny pump that would assist the heart of those that only have a single functioning ventricle. I hope that is in Gracelyn's time.

It is not the end of the world for Gracelyn. There are plenty of things much worse. I do realize this. It just wasn't the path I had placed her on. Yesterday we watched in the canyon as five young kids lost their lives in a split second. It helped put things into perspective. I know our time here is so precious. I know we should be so grateful for it, despite the challenges it has to offer. I know I am learning and growing, in ways I never thought I would have to. I am finding I am a lot stronger than I could have ever imagined I was. I know I have a lot more growing ahead. I am so grateful to Heavenly Father for giving us our little lady, for trusting us with her. We needed everything her sweet spirit has to offer in our lives. I feel so lucky to have been blessed with the beautiful children we have been given.

6 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear that the Fontan will be required for sweet littel Gracelyn. I know it is not what you want. I can definitely relate to that feeling. But, know that this might actually turn out to be the blessing you need, the one that fixes her heart and allows her to live a "normal" life, without all the tubes and medications. Sometimes the things we need are not the things we want at all. Just know that no matter the outcome, the Lord is aware of it all and He will always be there to help you through. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you are having to continually go thru this. And yes you are stronger, even stronger than you are now imagining you are. You will keep getting stronger, even when you are at your weakest.....2 Corinthians 12:9 "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

    I really held on to this verse when Kaleb was in the hospital..... When you feel weak, give it to God, He will give you the strength for everything! You, Gracelyn and your precious family are in my prayers. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only imagine the heartache you have been through with that sweet precious girl. You are such a strong, incredible person AND an amazing mom!! Gracelyn is soo lucky to have you (and Jeff & Cole of course)! I know the Lord is watching over her and that despite the present challenges, she will be taken care of.
    thanks for being such a tremedous example to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry that you are struggling with the news. I remember feeling the exact same way, thinking i can do 1 surgery at 6 months but NOT another when my baby is a 3 or 4 year old kid! I didn't want it either. But after zipping through the Glen as fast as these girlies did, there should be no worries :) They will do just fine i know it! Hang in there, in a few years there could be new advances for sure, i wouldn't doubt it one bit.
    Hugs
    Mindi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello. I hope you don't mind that I found your blog through mason's and that i'm leaving you a comment. I have actually seen you guys a couple times at PCMC and also at mason's fundraiser. This post hits close to our little family as well. We will also have to go this same route for our sweet little girl taylee. It truely was and still is hard to think about our baby girl having to go through this. But like Britt says, the Lord is watching over us and our little ones will be taken care of. We will keep your family and that adorable little girl in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i felt the same way before i had taylee! i would hop from blog to blog and just cry and cry! i was so nervous to have her knowing what she would have to go through! i too am making her own blog so that she can have her own history of her journey. we are so lucky to have these little girls in our lives! they truely are little miracles! :)

    ReplyDelete