Thursday, June 3, 2010

Pre-op

Before anything else I need to thank those of you that gave us a heart for Gracelyn's blanket. We got all the hearts ironed on and my mom is in the process of sewing them on. I keep getting requests to see the crazy thing and I promise when it is done I will post pictures.

Jeff, Gracelyn and I left early this morning to head down to Primary's to handle all of the pre-op "stuff." (Once again Cole was more than happy to stay home and play with grandma.) We actually thought it was going to be a pretty quick visit, we were wrong. They did a physical on her, took x-rays and did labs. We did really well until we got to the labs part. They weren't able to draw any blood. They poked her everywhere. Finally the tech thought it would be enough if we just pricked her heal. She pricked her several times and kept squeezing her little foot until it was ready to fall off. Finally she got enough... or not. After all that she realized that she needed more because they need to find her a donor match. Poor baby! They brought the IV team in and still nothing. After a while of screaming she was a lovely shade of purple. Finally they got what they needed.

They were really happy with how she looked the NP just kept saying, "she doesn't look like a sick baby! You would never know!" I love to hear that. Her ears even looked great.

She is scheduled as first case tomorrow morning. We need to have her there by 6:00 a.m. A little bit of reality is setting in. I am having a hard time thinking of all the details and knowing the things that she will be going through. Actually, it is causing me to feel a little nauseous, literally. It is so hard to see these little babies right out of surgery. That being said, I know all will be well. It just isn't very much fun or easy to go through. Our cardiologist said to plan on 2 weeks there, today they told us about a week. Jeff is giving her 5 days. :) I'll stay however long it takes to make sure she is okay on their time, not mine. Thanks for all the prayers and kind offers to do what ever we need. I continue to feel overwhelmed by the support.

1 comment:

  1. I am thinking of you guys! You will probably read this while in the waiting room. Just know that everything will be fine, she is in GREAT hands AND Lib went home in 4 days :) They told us 2 weeks as well! But plan on that, then anything sooner will be FABULOUS!! Keep us posted through blog or facebook, i will be checking in all day tomorrow!!
    HUGS
    Mindi :)

    ReplyDelete