Sunday, December 20, 2009

Our move to the CICU



Today was such a great day for Jeff and I. When we got to the hospital this morning we found out that Gracelyn was being moved to the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit. Initially this made me very uptight. Although she is doing great, I felt like it was a moved needed because something was wrong. The nurses explained that the Cardiologist like their patients there, that they wanted to get to know us and her situation before surgery seeing that that is where she will go to afterwords. They took her down at 1:00 p.m. Around 2:30 we finally got settled. I could hear the doctor talking and she was questioning why she was on morphine and wanted her off of it. Once the doctor left the nurse explained to use that she was not going to be given any more morphine or versed (a drug that was making he comfortable). She said in this unit we give our babies Tylenol to control pain. It made me so happy to hear this. Just last night I told Jeff I was very uncomfortable with her having the morphine, but had we knew we had to trust the nurses. They keep explaining the pain that she is in. That it is like bad cramps or if you have the flu bad. I couldn't help but think, when we have the flu or cramps, we wouldn't take such strong drugs. We didn't have a choice but to trust them. The CICU nurse told me they don't like to keep their babies that "asleep." They expect that her blood pressure will start to come up since she won't be on those drugs which also act as respiratory suppressants. What a relief! We began talking to the nurse and we explained that we hadn't see her open he eyes since she was born. The nurse grabbed some q-tips and pried her little eyes open. From that moment on she kept trying to open them. My parents showed up with Mr. C and Jeff went out to be with him. I went to pump and left my parents to see her. Around 7:00 I came back from pumping, I started talking to her and the next thing I knew she had began to open her eyes. Grandma happened to have her camera on her filming. My mom ran to grab Jeff and she kept them open long enough for him to see her. This is what we saw...


It made my day. I really do have a baby in there. Before we left we also saw her moving her arms around and crying like babies are supposed to do. They expect her to do great again tonight. They are still calling her a low maintenance baby. We love to hear that. All of her levels are looking great and she seems to have healed fine from Fridays procedure.
Jeff and I want to again thank you for all of the emails, calls and posts on the blog expressing your love and support. We appreciate all of the prayers being said for us and her and know that it is all that can heal her.

5 comments:

  1. She is beautiful Andee. Your family is in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you got to see her with her eyes open. She is so cute. It was fun to see her on the little movie clip. I'm glad she moved to a new unit and hope you will have good nurses. We rarely use narcotics on our babies, we have found that tylenol works best. Good luck tomorrow. I know she will do great. Miracles happen. lots of love, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful baby. I like how you said the doctors are calling her a low maintenance baby, wait until she is a teenage girl. Hopefully she will still be low maintenance! LOL!
    Seriously, she is SO beautiful. Our thoughts and prayers are being sent from Ohio to your family!
    Thank you for the wonderful blog, not only to keep everyone informed but to raise awareness.
    Love,
    The Wright Family

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that you are updating your page so I know what is going on. I have wanted to call, but don't want to take any time that you may have away from Mr. C or your princess....The clip of her opening her eyes had me in tears. She is absolutely beautiful. Hang in there, it will all be over before you know it. I am so glad things went so well for you to have the strength that you have needed to be there for both of your cute kids. I pray for your family every night! She is a fighter and will do great tomorrow!
    XOXOXO
    Nicole Pearson and Family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff & Andee, thanks for the update! It is a big relief to hear Gracelyn is doing well. You are in our prayers. We look forward to you returning home! Merry Christmas! James & Wendy

    ReplyDelete