Friday, December 11, 2009

6 Pounds 2 Ounces...

We had our weekly visit to the doctor on Wednesday. As with every other visit things changed some. We started with our non-stress test...perfect. Good contractions, good heart rate. Then we had our prenatal checkup. I was hoping I would be told I was dilated to a 5 and we needed to get down to the hospital, no such luck. In fact, not much happening on that side (well at least there wasn't until I was checked). Then we had an ultrasound on Gracelyn. She has grown to be 6 pounds 2 ounces. I couldn't be happier. Back in August I was nervous we would make it anywhere close to being that big. She only falls in the 22% for her size, but the doctor told me I just have small babies. Fine by me. Next to her heart, all of her other organs looked great. Everything measured consistent, only at 36 weeks and a couple days, but consistent. She then listened to her heart. It sounded perfect! She told us that you would never know that this baby was sick. Then she started looking at her heart. We haven't seen her heart in several weeks, so I wasn't sure what we were going to see since it changed every other time. I don't know if my eyes were poking out of my head, or if my jaw was on the ground, but as the sonographer stared at her heart she turned to me and said, "her pulmonary artery didn't look like that last time, did it?" No it didn't. I couldn't believe what I was looking at. I'm not a doctor, but I have studied enough and stared at her echos enough to know that her PA was large and full of blood (good thing). It had grown some last time we looked at her and this time it was even bigger. I was so happy! We were also able to see her pulmonary valve which was originally said to be missing, but now that we could see her artery was in good condition, it made it evident that the valve was what wasn't working at all. Leaving the right ventricle still without any blood. I was very grateful for her improvement, but as the day went on I began realizing that we had probably just ruled out the easiest procedure that we had as an option. It was a bittersweet day. My next appointment is Wednesday. I will update then, if not before with pictures of a new baby in our arms. Wishful thinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment