Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Who needs sleep anyway...?

Unless you are a doctor or nurse you probably haven't seen much of us in the last 5 months or so. I thought I would post a recent picture of Gracelyn and I, just so you don't forget us. I know I look a lot better than other pictures I have posted in the past, but you can tell Grace isn't so happy. She has really bad ear infections. She is on her forth antibiotic and still no relief. The last being rocephin injections. For the past two week she has been miserable. It started around the same time as her last cath and so we were blaming it on that. She won't sleep. She went from sleeping 10 hours to waking up 10 times a night. She doesn't want to talk or smile much. She just cries. She won't let anyone hold her, but me. Now don't get me wrong, I am all for her being a mama's girl. However, I do need to shower and use the bathroom sometimes. I miss my happy little baby! I feel so bad for her. Her pediatrician has decided enough is enough and that we need to get tubes put in. With her other problems they will only do them at PCMC. He gave me the number of an ENT doctor in Layton that operates there. We had hoped for tubes this week, but he didn't even have an opening to just look at her for a week. We called PCMC to see what doctors they had available and they are scheduling for June 23. I contacted PCMC yesterday because it has been two weeks since they said she was put on the schedule for surgery and we still haven't heard anything. They couldn't find her paper work. I talked to them about her needing tubes and trying to plan that around her heart surgery. The women I was talking to stopped me and said if she has ear infections they won't operate and if she has tubes they can't operate on her heart for SIX weeks. In my head I am screaming, "REMEMBER THAT LITTLE PIECE OF PLASTIC IN HER HEART THAT IS CLOSING? OH, AND NOT TO MENTION THE LITTLE WIRE PIECE THAT IS NARROWING?!?! COULD SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME?!!" I'm not a doctor, but as her mom I am not comfortable knowing this and thinking we could have to wait at least two more months for surgery. I called her cardiologist yesterday and we still haven't heard back. So...needless to say we are stressing a bit. Nothing a bowl of ice cream at 5:00 in the morning can't fix though, right? Wrong. Now I have a belly ache on top of it all... :(

4 comments:

  1. I don't think any of that is true that you're being told!! All 5 of my kiddos had tubes as babies even Mason at 4 months old w/ an infection at the times and it never post poned his next heart surgery!!! Dr.Park ENT at primary's did ours ASAP call him and tell his nurse your situation and that your baby can't handle all the crying from her ears hurting because of her heart!!! Don't give up !!!! Keep calling!! I KNOW all too well about no sleep! So sorry!

    Mason's Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Summer, don't give up! You are the boss! She is YOUR baby. If you have a feeling, go with it. She needs tubes so make it happen. If her heart is in danger, the tubes won't make a difference in surgery, they will get it done! Dr. Rose is a smart doctor, he wouldn't jeopordize her heart. If he says get tubes, i would get them. It will all work out but still i am sooo sorry! How frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Andee,
    you are such a wonderful, patient, intune, loving mom. You amaze me!!

    ReplyDelete