Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Lots of phone calls and two surgery dates...long post ahead, beware.

Wow! What a day. I have spent a lot of time talking with doctors today. First thing this morning Gracelyn's surgeon's office called to let us know that she will be having heart surgery on June 4. I spoke with her for quite a while. Her surgeon has a lot going right now including transplants. Should someone else come in sick, they would get bumped and Gracelyn would be moved up. You know, sick, like ear infections maybe. She has a date, but still, they WILL NOT operate if her ears are infected. She suggested that I see my pediatrician and get her put on antibiotics until surgery. That way she would be ready any day, should they call us in last minute. Our pediatrician saw us a few hours later. He was as frustrated as me. He said her ears aren't getting better and that she needs tubes now. He said no antibiotic will fix it, we have tried four. He feels they are putting her life in danger by allowing the infection to possibly get to her shunt. He left our room and called Primary's to speak with one of the ENT doctors there. He came back in and said she was scheduled for tubes on Friday and said that the ENT doctor would talk with everyone involved. We are also scheduled to see cardiology on Friday. Before we left he gave her another injection of rocephin. After we left I called our cardiologist's office. I wanted to inform her of what the pediatrician and surgeon's office said. I told her I didn't want to be the middle man anymore and there needed to be some direct communication between the four doctors. I don't know what the best decision is, all I know is that I am done watching my baby struggle because no one is willing to move. She promised she would be in contact with everyone and that we would have answers tomorrow. She is scheduled to see Gracelyn Friday and see just where things are at. Before we saw our pediatrician I also had to stop by IHC home care to get another regulator. One that could get her right where she needs to be. When I told the gentleman what she was at he didn't believe me. When we got home tonight I decided to monitor Gracelyn for a while. I couldn't get her sats to read above 65%. At times she was in the 50's. I watched her for about a half hour before we decided to take her to the ER (YUCK...Creepy!). We wanted to hook her up to their machines and get a reading. Our machine is brand new and REALLY nice, but doesn't have the wave length on it like the hospital to tell if it is a good reading. Jeff and I both read okay on it, so when knew it was working. We just needed to know for sure. Luckily we have my parents so close, we dropped of Mr. C and head to the hospital. They hooked her up and she was around 79%. Right where we want her.

Tomorrow is a new day. We will see what it has to bring. Please pray for these doctors as they decide what is best for our little one. We have to trust them, we don't have a choice. We ask Heavenly Father to guide them to make the right decision.

(Side note: Before we left the hospital I turned to the ER nurse and said, "Thank you so much!" She look up and me and said, "What!?!" I told her I had thanked her for her help. She said, "No. Thank you! That is the first time I have been told thank you all day and now you guys are the ones I am sending home and keeping the rest." It made me feel bad. We couldn't make it without them and the doctors and they aren't appreciated, just expected to do what they do. SO, next time you are being helped by a nurse, be sure to thank them.)

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh sooo frustrating! I'm so sorry. Hang in there, it will all be done soon. What's your address? Will you email it to me?? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete