Sunday, May 16, 2010

IHH Family Picnic

On Saturday we went to a picnic with other heart families in the area. I have avoided these groups in the past, denying that we were anything like them. Who really wants to be associated with a group that usually involves your child having a four inch scar down their chest? Not me! Unfortunately it wasn't optional to be like these people...amazing people. I recently have come in contact with other "heart moms," as I have had to learn to be called. After talking with these moms I have found that, though no two experiences are the same, they understand. They understand the words, they understand what I am talking about, they understand what it feels like to not be able to see or hold your baby after you give birth, they understand what it is to hand your baby over to doctors to have their tiny chest opened, they JUST UNDERSTAND. It has been so nice to talk with them.

With that being said, I decided that I would open the door a little, but only a little for now. With Jeff and Mr. C by my side we joined these other families at a Intermountain Healing Hearts picnic on Saturday. Nobody stared at the oxygen, everyone knew why she had it and many understood what it was to have a child dependent upon it. During this whole experience, for nearly a year now, I have felt totally misunderstood and very judged at times, by those that you would expect to care the most. During those few hours we spent with these other families I felt so comfortable, understood and not judged. I am very grateful to those that take the time to organize these events. One tradition they have started is to have a heart shaped treat/dessert contest. Jeff and I designed a little heart shaped sucker tree and made heart suckers for our "entry." We took first place!! YEAH! We won passes to the new Kangaroo Zoo. It will be perfect for us to spend a little fun time with Mr. C before our next hospital stay. (I was a little bummed I didn't get a picture of it when it was full and once we set it down the suckers went quick. Jeff decided it needs a third tier for next year. :) )

1 comment:

  1. Yes for sure add a third tier next time! Maybe even a forth! Those suckers went fast!!! Keep me posted on surgery date, i've been wanting to know! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete