Monday, March 8, 2010

Staying healthy...almost

We are always being asked how Gracelyn is doing, since I haven't posted in awhile I figured I would give an update. Gracelyn is doing great. Sometimes it is hard to believe how well she is doing. We are very pleased with her progress. When we were at the doctor on Monday they weighed her at she was 9lbs. 15 oz. She is still so little, but is gaining about 5 oz. a week. A couple of weeks ago we had a scare, Mr. C got a really bad cold. Next I got it and then it hit her. The first day she woke up sick I couldn't help but cry. I was devastated. I felt like all of our efforts were in vain. Before she was born we bought a BBG (Baby Booger Getter...that is the real name, and anyone with children should have one of these.) I think that this machine saved her from being admitted to the hospital. We would suck her nose out about once an hour and about a week later her cough was gone. Just to clear the air, during that time we DID have to take her to the Emergency Room, but only to get her saturation checked because the Pulse Ox my doctor uses won't work on her. After she was born they did a cath procedure in her leg and since then it has been really hard to find a pulse or get sat levels in her feet. While she was sick her hands, feet and mouth had gone really purple and I was worried about her saturation level. I couldn't take her to my doctor to check her since his machine wouldn't work and so we were told to go to the ER. Within a couple minutes they were able to get her levels. At first it popped up at 75, they told me not to worry we just needed to wait a couple minutes to get a good reading. I tried to tell them I was really happy with that and they kept telling me to wait. I tried to explain to the nurses that she needed to be between 75-85, but they wouldn't listen. I wanted them to take her off of the machine, but they kept insisting we wait to see if we could get it to go up. Finally I got through to them. It was kind of funny. She ended up being around 85-92, which is just as bad as if it were too low. My doctor is a little worried about her being too high. Needless to say, we now have a really nice pulse ox in our home. I have been really good about not using it too often, I just try to check her every couple of days. She has been right were she is supposed to be. At the hospital they taught us to check her based on how she looks, not on what a machine says. Last week she became really grouchy and stopped sleeping at night. She would wake up and scream the most painful scream. My stomach was in knots. I thought that it must be starting to be time for the next surgery. Jeff reminded me that the doctor had mentioned that she had a little fluid behind her ears. Mr. C was going back in on Monday to have both of his ears checked after getting over two bad ear infections. While we were there I had the doctor look at Gracelyn. I don't know if I thought we were exempt from all other sicknesses since we have to deal with a rather large one, but I guess I didn't expect something to be wrong with her. The doctor found that she also has ear infections in both ears. As bad as I feel that she is in pain, I am so happy that all she is dealing with right now is ear infections. Next week she will be 3 months old and I feel really fortunate that all we have had to deal with is a cold and and ear infection. Thanks to everyone who has continued to ask about her and have kept her in your prayers. They are definitely felt.

1 comment:

  1. even though it has ONLY been a cold and ear infection, that is still rough. Hope you are all doing better. I think of you often. That picture of her on the chair is soo adorable!

    ReplyDelete