Sunday, October 25, 2009

October 13, 2009: Perinatologist Visit - More Improvement

Yesterday we had our appointment with the perinatologist. It appears as though we have a baby that just isn't interested in a life time of being sick. We will take it! I feel very very blessed and very overwhelmed by how blessed I feel. Yesterday I took my mom with me to my appointment. I thought she might enjoy seeing our little Grace in action. These appointments are fun because they look at everything and the sonagrapher is so sweet and usually takes a minute to look at her face in 4D. Below I added some pictures, they aren't that great because the cord is across her face. Even though you can't see the cord it is causing her face to be a little distorted. I love having appointments so often and seeing her so much, but each time I leave I become extremely emotional. This time is no different. The sonographer at the office we go to is GREAT! She is so sweet. Before we started my mom joked with her a bit and told her we would appreciate it if she could just tell us that everything had changed and nothing was wrong. She laughed and told us she has had a sick daughter too (kidney transplant at 4 years old) and hoped for the same each time, but it wasn't likely. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask! As she searched around her heart she told us that there was indeed a pulmonary valve, the artery was bigger and that there was blood in the artery. We already knew this from our last visit to Primary's, but it was nice to have a second person confirm it. She also said that the fluid that she discovered 4 weeks ago was NO longer there! Last time we went to Primary's they discovered an irregular heart beat. Yesterday her heart was beating PERFECTLY! We couldn't have asked for anymore. After she left the doctor came in. I hadn't met with this doctor before, but really liked him. He actually spoke in terms we could understand. He looked at the pictures and said, "so has her diagnosis been changed?" I didn't quite understand what he meant and questioned him. She was originally diagnosed with Pulmonary Stenosis (narrowing of the Pulmonary Artery), when we went to Primary Children's they told us she actually had Pulmonary Artesia (narrowing of the artery, no valve and a small ventricle). He said she HAS a valve! When we left our last appointment at Primary's that is what I felt they were saying, but the doctor never really came out and said it. We will wait until our next appt. at Primary's (Oct. 28) to confirm it, but I feel like that is what is happening. At this point I am trying not to feel TOO optimistic as things change each appointment. There is a big difference between the two defects. I have felt overwhelmed by this news, but also very overwhelmed by what the doctors are suggesting I do. We are going to deliver at the University of Utah no matter what, (she is sick and needs immediate attention, it is just a matter of what they need to do to her) but I have had TWO separate doctors, on TWO separate occasions suggest that I do a VBAC (those of us who have had c-sections know what this means :), Vaginal Birth After Cesarean). I am SO against doing this! I have begged a friend who wanted to do it not to. I have since learned that it is not the amount of time you are in labor it is the time that you spend pushing that matters. I was at the hospital with Mr. C for over 15 hours, but pushed for around 20 minutes before he began to stress. The reason the took me c-section was because of him stressing. I wasn't given that long to push. These doctors believe that I would be just fine having a VBAC and think that it would be better for my body to do it this way. My mom joked with me that they were pretty much begging me to do it. It won't affect Gracelyn at all! Nothing is going to change for her until she comes out and takes that first breath. I won't stress her by doing it this way. I will admit that I am considering it. We are scheduling a date for the 15th of December. The doctor is going to schedule it as a c-section. He says it is easier to schedule a c-section and change it to an induction than to schedule an induction and change to a c-section. Waiting until the 15th will put me past the amount of time that I went early with Mr. C. I prefer that if I do the VBAC that I go into labor on my own instead of being induced. Having her VBAC would be a lot easier on me and would allow me to be able to see her and take care of her a lot sooner. She is going to be a tiny baby, yesterday they told us they expect her to be 6 pounds. We have a lot to think about.

Again, I want to thank everyone for their continued prayers and support. We love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment